About Us Pages » History


Van Ness Avenue Elementary School opened in 1916. The principal construction start date: 1923.


In June 2013, Van Ness Avenue School began the merge with Frances Blend School to promote an integrating learning community. (Frances Blend School opened in 1926 and was previously the Blind and Sight Saving School on the 32nd Street School campus. It was renamed after its first principal, Frances Blend, in 1952.)


The sculptural enhancement of the entry of Van Ness Elementary School is reminiscent of the Gothic style. Architects Noerenberg and Johnson were responsible for the design of the 1923 building.